Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Shiitake Soup Recipe for my Woes





It's that time of year again, and I have been feeling downright lousy as of late:  coughing, congestion, weakness, and extreme tiredness.  Yesterday, though, my body was screaming out for soup.  I had just enough energy, so I made this soup and it turned out fabulous!  My body thanked me. 


Dried Shiitake Mushroom Soup:

2 c. dehydrated shiitake mushrooms

2 carrots, diced

1 onion, thinly sliced as quarter moons

1 T minced garlic

1 T grated fresh ginger

2 T olive oil

1 15-oz can turkey broth (you may use chicken broth, but the turkey broth turned out to be a wonderful flavor-enhancer).

½ c. fresh spinach

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

¼ c. frozen edamame (optional)

Pour very hot water over mushrooms to rehydrate for about 20 minutes.  Heat oil in pan and sauté until translucent.  Season with pepper and add garlic, ginger, and carrots.  Sauté on low for 1-2 minutes.  Season with salt and add mushrooms with the mushroom broth it was soaking in.  This is an important step as the broth adds additional flavor.  Add edamame, turkey broth, and spinach.  Simmer until vegies are cooked through.  Sample and season to taste.
**This is my original recipe.  I love sharing, though, so please link back to this blog.  Thanks!

This week I am linking up with the following parties:




No comments:

Post a Comment